Thursday, November 5, 2015

Ethos, Pathos, and Logos Outline

Image Source

Below is my list of possible support points for my research essay, which appeal to Ethos, Pathos, and Logos.


Ethos is when you convince the reader of your credibility or expertise on the subject, either by using your own knowledge or using sources from others. 

Because I am not an expert on my topic, I will use sources from others with high credibility and expertise.


  1. I will use Ethos when I quote or paraphrase the article, "Mitigating the Health Risks of Dining out," from the American Journal of Public Health.
  2. I will use Ethos when I quote or paraphrase the article, "Standardizing Portion Sizes May Not Benefit Human or Environmental Health," from the American Journal of Public Health.
  3. I will use Ethos when I quote or paraphrase the article, "The Contribution of Expanding Portion Sizes to the U.S. Obesity Epidemic," from the American Journal of Public Health.
Pathos is when you use emotion to convey your points of debate or argument in a way that might be relatable to the reader.

  1. I will use Pathos if I include interviews and/or stories of dining out from friends and family.
  2. I will use Pathos if I give personal examples of the negative impact of restaurant meal portions in my own life. 
  3. I will use Pathos when I quote a web article, "Living the Chipotlife: 23-year-old Man Eats Chipotle for 153 Days Straight," from USA Today.
Logos is to appeal to reason; to use logic to present your case.
  1. I will use Logos when I mention that decreasing portion sizes would logically reduce obesity.
  2. I will use Logos when I explain that, if portion sizes are decreased and obesity is minimized, diseases and medical conditions will then also be reduced.
  3. I will use Logos when I address how money and time will logically be saved.
Written by Hayley Leach

No comments:

Post a Comment