Monday, November 2, 2015

Chapter 16 - Research


Research always seems to be the hardest part of writing a paper.  There are so many different subtopics within each topic that it can sometimes be hard to focus on one specific point.  As I have been doing research for my paper, I have noticed that there are many ways to come upon information. As stated in the chapter reliable sources can be found in a library, or in a database.  I found most of my information within a database.
My professional reaction about this topic is not necessarily on finding information, but if the information found is from a reliable resource.  The book talked about how not all information on the internet is a reliable source.  One has to be able to evaluate the source and determine its suitability. First one has to ask if the source is authoritative, meaning the source is written by an expert.  Then one has to check if your source is accurate, up to date, and fits along with other research done.  Then one has to decide if the source is objective, meaning it is not swayed to one opinion or another.  After this one needs to make sure the source is current.  Lastly one needs to ensure that the source is comprehensive.
As I look back at my research that I did for my research paper, I see that all my sources positively answer these questions.  Most of my sources were from an online database except one that I found from a Census that the government had taken.  Research is important with any writing in order to ensure that every little detail is accurate.

Written by - Kelsey Robison
Image


No comments:

Post a Comment